Neurofeedback is being introduced as an option for our patients. Although effective and safe for all ages it will be offered to adults initially. The system we use is called Neurogen High Performance Neurofeedback (HPN), sometimes referred to as microcurrent or direct neurofeedback.
The technology: sites on your temples and scalp are cleaned with alcohol and small dabs of conductive paste applied. Neurogen uses four tiny sensors gently applied to the skin to measure the electrical brainwaves (EEG or electroencephalogram) that are displayed on a computer screen. Using an extremely low-strength microcurrent (1/1000 of that of an AA battery), Neurogen sends a tiny signal to the brain that causes a slight alteration in brain waves. This little change allows the brain to reorganize its stuck patterns and form healthy ones. The effects of Neurogen are powerful and long-lasting treating the symptoms at source within the nervous system.
Neurogen does not require any effort or learning by the patient. You just sit back and relax. The microcurrent is so small that it cannot be felt but the improvement in symptoms can be very rapid. Most people notice a change within the first three sessions. A sense of calmness and improved sleep are often the first things to change. Often family members or friends notice the change before the patient does. On average, it takes 15 - 20 sessions to achieve permanent results. Appointments are once or twice a week for the first few months and then visits can be spaced out a bit longer. A few patients benefit from occasional booster treatments after the initial series is complete.
It has been effectively used for the following conditions:
- traumatic brain injury (TBI, concussion), including foggy thinking, disorientation, lack of clarity, focus, or attention
- ADD and ADHD, or other causes of poor concentration and focus
- anxiety or depression
- some types of headaches and migraine
- autism spectrum, including Asperger’s Syndrome
- Alzheimer’s symptoms and prevention
- improving confidence and focus in academic or sports performance
- persistent pain – though not targeting painful areas directly, by reducing anxiety, improving sleep and mood, Neurogen can reduce pain associated with bruxism, TMJ disorders and fibromyalgia
No long-term adverse effects have been noted. A very few people feel sleepy or “spacy” afterwards, or the opposite: more alert or “wired”, for a few hours - never more than a day or two. At subsequent visits adjustments can be made to the treatment as needed.
Additional information can be found at Brain Pathways.